The South Dakota Pilots Association gives 50% scholarships
to high school students to participant in the Aerospace Career and Education
(ACE) Camp held each July at South Dakota State University.
Career and Education Camp is held annually in mid-July on the campus of
South Dakota State University in Brookings and is open to all students enrolled
in grades 9-12 for the following school year. The SDPA provides half-tuition
scholarships to students from East River and West River to
the ACE Camp. The SDPA has provided numerous scholarships to students in the
past (recipients are listed below). The Yankton Regional Aviation Association
(YRAA) also provides scholarship assistance to students from southeastern
South Dakota, west-central Iowa, or northeastern Nebraska to the ACE Camp.
The YRAA has provided half-tuition scholarships to students since 1992.
Major ACE Camp sponsors are the South Dakota Space Grant Consortium, which
is funded by NASA, and the SD Office of Aeronautics.
The annual ACE Camp provides an inside look at
careers in aerospace, and at the education needed to pursue those careers.
Activities include in-flight training, tours of SD Air
National Guard, Lake Area Technical Institutes Aviation Maintenance Program, an air ambulance,
star-gazing, and several other aviation/aeronautics related facilities.
For more information or to apply please visit : http://www.sdstate.edu/abe/wri/activities/ace/index.cfm or contact the ACE Camp Coordinator at 605-688-4983 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
application deadline is typically the end of June.
Tuition includes room, meals, instructional
materials, transportation during camp, in-flight training (weather permitting),
a hot-air balloon ride (weather permitting), one evening’s entertainment,
and a T-shirt. Tuition assistance is available, such as scholarships from the
South Dakota Pilots Association and the Yankton Regional Aviation Association.
SDPA Scholarship Winners:
- 1995: Chad Edwards (Tea) & Jessica Goodart (Rapid City).
- 1996: Amanda Brandt (Brookings) & Steven Spanbauer (Iroquois).
- 1997: Darren Bryant (Centerville) & Brent Chapman (Hills, MN).
- 1998: Lee Huber (Emery) & Matthew Doerr (Mitchell).
- 1999: Andrew Schaunaman (Westport) & Ryan Siebrasse (Aberdeen).
- 2000: no scholarships.
- 2001: Leah Battin (Yankton) & Jesse Julius (Watertown).
- 2002: Nicole Siebrasse (Aberdeen) & Benjamin Zeeb (Lesterville).
- 2003: Andy Cahoy (Aberdeen) & Kris Schwartz (Dallas).
- 2004: John Bowman (Dakota Dunes) & Fielding Russell IV (Meckling).
- 2005: Emily
Moncur (Miller) and Taylor Hagel (Rapid City).
- 2006: no scholarships due to paperwork problem at SDSU.
- 2007: Ryan Peterson (Hitchcock) and Sebastian Nabb (Kearney, NE).
- 2008: Nicole Schwebach (Egan) and Chase O'Farrell (Summitt).
- 2009: Yang Fuller (Brookings) and Courtney LaMont (Hot Springs)
- 2010: Samuel Hinricher (Dell Rapids) and Andrew Puetz (Brookings).
- 2011: Nathan Graham (Grundy Center, IA) and Leah Vander Vorst (Amherst, SD).
- 2012: Hannah Becker (Pierre), Cole Jorgensen (Hartford), Cody Hight (White River), Anna Maher (Fort Pierre).
- 2013: Gavin Munson (Pierre), Carter Venhuizen (Brookings), Trae Stenerson (Buffalo), Bramm Pickner (Sully Buttes).
- 2014: Cody Loup (Wilmot), Wyatt Rumrill (Pierre), Luke Schochenmeier (Pierre), Hannah Feten (Clear Lake).
- 2015: Samuel Sorrell (Box Elder), Neil Spieker (Clark), and Brittani Snow (Pierre).
- 2016: East River and West River students.
ACE Camp students at Aerostar International for hot air balloon demonstration
ACE Camp students pose before preflighting aircraft for flight in 2002.
ACE Camp students building and launching rockets in 2002.
ACE Camp students at EAA Chapter 289 hangar in Tea to view experimental aircraft.
2004 ACE Camp students learned about aircraft at Big Sioux Aviation in Brookings.
Group photo of ACE Camp 2013 participants at Landmark Aviation, Sioux Falls.
ACE Campers at the SD Air National Guard on the Sioux Falls Airport – Joe Foss Field -- 2015.